I have been tagged by fellow writer, Bryn Greenwood (one of the funniest and darkest writers I’ve ever read) to list six things that make me happy. Coming from Bryn, this is kinda funny in itself. I would have expect ‘Six Things That Make Your Skin Crawl’ (TONGUE blood, Bryn!) or ‘Six Things That Make You Want to Stab Someone’s Eyes Out.’ This happy thing…it was a surprise. Bryn’s own post on the subject was a delight to read, btw, and I highly recommend it. So follow my links, people!
Okay. Six things that make me happy.
1. Cats. If you’ve followed my blog at all, this will not come as a surprise to you. I love watching them, fostering them, curling up in bed and having all my babies vie for my attention and ‘real-estate’ (I am prime real estate to these felines). I love watching them play and do all the silly, graceful and totally feline things cats do. They have kept me sane during some very dark times in my life.
2. Chocolate (’cause Bryn forgot to mention it). Yes, I am a Chocoholic and while I don’t need to consume huge quantities at a sitting, I need my square or two of dark chocolate and/or my mocha on a daily basis.
3. Walking on the beach during almost any weather. I don’t know if it’s the negative ions the sea air is supposed to put out there, but I am rarely happier than when strolling along the beach, scavanging for beach glass, driftwood, shells and the occasional shark tooth or animal bone. I love watching the waves, especially the huge combers with the ‘ghost waves’ of foam breaking on top of the wave itself. Watching surfers (and surfing myself when I can) is a joy – the casual ease of the accomplished surfer when he/she drops down into the wave…it’s like watching a Greek god. Watch BIG WEDNESDAY for that last surfing sequence and you’ll see what I mean.
4. Bad movies. Oh, you knew this was coming. The badder, the better. Not indifferent bad. Not boring. But gloriously, hideously, over the top horrible. SHOWGIRLS, I love you! Even better, though, FEMALE MERCENARIES ON ZOMBIE ISLAND. There is nothing worse out there.
5. Reading. Anywhere, anytime. I keep books in the bathroom at work and home. I read when I walk anywhere, including down the hall at work to get a glass of water. Even when I’m busting my ass to meet a writing deadline, you can be sure I’ll tuck a book or two into the schedule in those spare moments I’m not at my computer.
6. Those rare moments in life when I’m filled with such pure joy, I can barely stand it. I never know what will spark this sensation. But there are just times when I’m suffused with such happiness, I am positive everything is right with the world.
7. OMG, the fake trailers in TROPIC THUNDER. Bwahahahahah!!!!!